Friday, February 13, 2009

A Trifecta of Awesomeness

(Source: Nick Laham/Getty Images)

So, while I was buried up to my eyeballs in assignments for school, the Senators were busy quietly becoming awesome! I must admit, I'd forgotten exactly what it's like to win, to watch hockey because you think your team has a decent shot at doing well rather than because you simply enjoy the game and won't walk out on your team for anything. I will always watch the Sens, win lose or draw - which sounds like such a cliched thing to say, and yet it's how I feel. I've stuck with them through all the playoff failures, the losses in four straight to the Leafs (oh, the ribbing from my Leafs-loving cousin ...) and the debacle that was last year's fall from grace. And I can't really foresee a point at which I would not stick with them.

That being said, it is admittedly much easier to be a fan when your team is winning. And, to their credit, the Sens have done plenty of that lately. Of course the naysayers are still out in full force, saying that (among other things) it won't last, they're only winning because there's no more pressure on them, they'll probably win just enough games so as not to be eligible for the John Tavares sweepstakes, etc. But there will always be naysayers, because people will always want something to complain about. Seems to be the nature of human beings, unfortunately.

What surprised me is that among those naysayers happened to be one John Paddock. Now, while I think we can all agree that he'd be the perfect person to head the Support Group for Fired Coaches and Abandoned Goaltenders Formerly of the Ottawa Senators, I honestly did not expect him to go off the way he did. According to this article on TSN.ca, when asked by a reporter from the Camden Courier-Post to comment on recent events, Paddock said:

"I think now he's [Bryan Murray] next in line. We were 14 games over .500 when I was fired. They're seven under now. Somebody needs to take responsibility for that. ... The players are not very good, that's the problem."

Problem number one with these comments: Paddock is still technically employed by the Senators organization, in that they owe him some more salary. Problem number two is that the terms of his contract state he is not permitted to discuss team affairs with outsiders. Now, Murray says that Paddock since apologized to him in an email, so that affair appears to have blown over. But it sure got a lot of play on the postgame shows last night. With the team doing not so badly right now and Cory Clouston looking like a magician, perhaps it's only natural that there would be a bit of jealousy among former employees. Still, I was a little amazed that he would go this far.

No matter though - the important thing right now is that Ottawa seems to be doing better, much better, at least in the interim. They've capped off a three-game winning streak (their first this season!) with a decisive 5-2 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers. This follows on from 3-2 and 3-1 wins against Buffalo. In all of those games they've looked more like their old selves than they have in over a calendar year. They're completing passes, concentrating on defense, taking chances, getting solid goaltending from Brian Elliot - in other words, all the things you need to do in order to record victories in the NHL.

Maybe this is nothing. Maybe it will end soon, and they won't win another game all season. But frankly I don't care right now. I'm just glad they're winning, however pointless that might seem right now.

Notes: 1) The aforementioned victories have not come without cost, unfortunately, as Chris Neil will be out for a while with a lacerated calf. Best wishes for his speedy recovery! 2) Posting will most probably be more regular from now on, as I'm on a one-week break from classes for Reading Week. I'm still getting into the swing of keeping up this blog while also juggling all my other commitments, and though it's not easy, I'll get there in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment